Monday, April 27, 2009

The Garden

I am yearning to start my gardening, but Mother Nature is just not cooperating with me...I think she must be screening her calls. Our weather here in Elko has been a mish-mash of sunshine, rain and snow. And since it's still dropping down into the 30's at night, I know that everything that I plant now will just freeze. That happened to me a couple years ago.

I got started on weeding out the flowerbeds in the front and back of the house this weekend. Surprisingly, some of last years plants survived being covered with snow most of the winter and are greening up already. I also ended up disturbing the home of some red ants, they weren't very happy with me and I now am sporting ant bites on the top of my foot and on my ankle. There's also some kind of noxious weed growing in the back bed that has taken over. It resembles rhubarb, but has a really thick root system that has worked it's way under the concrete walkway. I think I'm gonna have to talk to somebody at the BLM to find out what it is and how to get rid of it.

We also picked a place in the backyard for the vegetable garden and next weekend are going to build a raised bed there. I want to plant zuchini, peppers, pole beans, cucumbers, some onions and maybe some lettuce.

I'll keep everyone posted on the progress of the garden as it grows (hopefully).

2 comments:

  1. You have fire ants too? I hate those suckers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVE garden blogs....keep 'em coming! photos would be nice, too...take a snap of that rhubarby weed..i'm curious. M

    ReplyDelete