Friday, May 22, 2009

Useless Trivial Information

In honor of Memorial Day Weekend, today's piece of Useless Trivial Info is about hot dogs, the original mystery meat!

I found a website ( http://whatscookingamerica.net ) that had all kinds of facts, trivia and legends about these weenies:

  • Movie actress Marlene Dietrich once said that hot dogs and champagne were her favorite meal.
  • It is said that legendary baseball player Babe Ruth once downed 24 hot dogs between games of a double header.
  • Hot dogs are primarily regarded as a fun, summertime food, and most are eaten between Memorial Day and Labor Day.
  • Jayne Mansfield was Miss Hot Dog Ambassador in 1950.

There are many combinations of condiments that folks use on their dogs. Catsup, mustard, relish, onions, sauerkraut, etc.

People also like them cooked many ways: Bbq'd, broiled, boiled or on a stick. And there's a restaurant somewhere that deep fries them!

Personally, I like 'em bbq'd almost to the point of being burnt. The outside is crispy and the inside is moist. On a bun with mustard and catsup. My bro in law Gus, he makes me the meanest dogs on the planet! Oh, and after tasting a Hebrew National brand dog, it's the only kind I'll eat. Most hot dogs seem really oily, not these.

Now I want you to share with me how you like your dogs. Or if you're not a hot dog eater, what's your favorite substitute.

Wishing everyone a happy and safe Memorial Day Weekend :)

4 comments:

  1. Hotdogs!!! I love hotdogs! I like them with mustard only. BBQ'd and burrrrrnt!! Love the blackened outside of a hotdog :)

    Never had a Hebrew National. I'll have to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like my burnt too, as you know. Brandon doesn't seem to understand the importance of the blackness. He always undercooks them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. just like you only mustard only....on a crispy toasted bun! M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim just taped this Hot Dog documentary for me! I love hot dogs!!!!

    ReplyDelete